1984 Sabre 38' (11.58 m) 38 Mk I CB
Westport, Connecticut, United States
The KINSHIP is a 1984 SABRE 38 Mk I Centerboard model.
- Sloop / Cruisers
- Fiberglass Hull
- HIN/IMO: HWS38066G484
|Keel / Centerboard model|
|Classic Interior Layout|
|Notable Upgrades: Factory Engine Rebuild - 1997|
The KINSHIP was produced as a 1984 model SABRE 38 Mk I CB and has the Factory Keel-Centerboard Option. She's hull #66 of some 100 "Mk I's" as produced by SABRE YACHTS of Maine from 1981 through 1987. The KINSHIP has the "Classic Interior Layout" with the Quarter Berth aft and with the Head forward.
The KINSHIP is a good, sound & lightly-used example of this SABRE YACHTS 38 Mk I cruising classic. She equipped for cruising on Long Island Sound & New England waters as these Owners have done for the past 25 years. Given her excellent overall condition, the KINSHIP is a great opportunity for knowledgeable sailors and requires little to be sailed & enjoyed for the 2023 Season.
The KINSHIP is presently located at her Summer Marina in Westport, CT. She's now in full commission for the 2023 Season. Appointments for a viewing are certainly to be encouraged for the KINSHIP for cruising sailors who are actively in the market for such a solid value as represented by this particular SABRE 38 Mk I CB.
NOTE: Most of the "in the water" Listing Photos were taken in the late Summer & early Fall of 2022 while the KINSHIP was at her Summer Slip.
LOA: 37' 10'' (11.53 Meters)
Type: Sail- Used
Beam: 11' 6''
LWL: 31' 2''
Draft Max: 8' 0''
Draft Min: 4' 3''
V Berths: 2
Head Room: 6' 3''
Fuel Type: Diesel
Hull Material: Fiberglass
Hull Finish: WHITE Gelcoat
Hull Shape: Displacement
Bridge Clearance: 56'
Fuel Tank: 30 Gallons (113.56 Liters)
Fresh Water: 94 Gallons (355.83 Liters)
Holding Tank: 30 Gallons (113.56 Liters)
Displacement: 15600 lbs
Ballast Weight: 6800 lbs
Builder: Sabre Yachts
Photos click to view all
- Engine Make: Westerbeke
- Engine Model: W33
- Engine Year: 1984
- Engine Type: Inboard
- Drive Type: Direct
- Power HP: 33.00
- Fuel Type: Diesel
- Hours: 2100.00
- Hours Date: 01-07-2022
- Serial Number: 5922-C312
- Engine Location: Middle
For more information regarding this 1984 model SABRE 38 Mk I CB, the KINSHIP, contact the Listing Broker, Randy Altemus of Brewer Yacht Sales (Stratford, CT), via email at "raltemus(at)breweryacht.com" or by via my cell at "203 512 0847".
Hull & Deck
The centerboard is not a ballast item .. it is a fiberglass blade with a metal core .. it is operated via a wire / rope friction reel winch located in the Cockpit.
The SABRE 38 Mk I was produced with a hand laid-up hull with alternating layers of fiberglass mat & woven roving. The hull is balsa-cored for added strength, reduced weight and enhanced insulation properties.
- ·SABRE WHITE Gelcoat topsides finish
- ·DARK BLUE Boot-top
- ·DARK BLUE Cove stripe
- ·BLUE Bottom paint
- ·Keel-Centerboard Version: Draft 4’3” Board Up & 8’0” Board Down
- ·Lead ballast w/ (12) stainless steel keel bolts
- ·Spade rudder w/ partial skeg for strength & enhanced directional stability
The SABRE 38 Mk I deck is fabricated with a hand laid-up fiberglass structure with balsa coring. Marine plywood sections are used in areas that require additional strength & stability such as for winches, cleats, genoa tracks and other deck hardware items
- ·SABRE WHITE Gelcoat finish
- ·LIGHT BEIGE Gelcoat contrasting non-skid surfaces (note: Factory Option)
- ·Bow pulpit, double-rail, stainless steel)
- ·Stern rail, double-rail, stainless steel
- ·(10) Life-line stanchions, stainless steel
- ·Life-lines, upper & lower w/ 1x19 wire
- ·(2) Life-line gates, port & starboard w/ upper & lower lines
- ·(4) Deck cleats, 7”, aluminum
- ·((2) Dock line cleats, 6.5”, adjustable position, aluminum (note: mounted on outboard genoa track)
- ·(8) BOMAR Opening ports, plastic
- ·(5) BOMAR Deck hatches, aluminum w/ screens (note: screens Factory Option)
- ·(6) Dorade vents, “Low Profile” type
- ·(4) Portlights for Salon, large fixed for ambient lighting
- ·Companionway w/ sliding hatch, LEXAN
- ·Sea-Hood for Companionway hatch
- ·(3) Companionway boards, teak
- ·Deck scupper drains
- ·(4) Teak grab / safety rails, varnished
- ·Teak toe rails, varnished
- ·Teak SABRE “brow” pieces for Coachroof accent, varnished
“T” Shaped Cockpit (note a) allows room for oversize 40" wheel at Helm Station, b) overall Cockpit length: 8')
- Helm Station binnacle w/ EDSON wheel steering, 40” diameter wheel w/ Elkhide wrap.
- Binnacle guard, stainless steel
- ·RITCHIE SP-5 compass, 5” card
- ·Binnacle cover for compass, stainless steel
- ·Drink / glass holder, teak
- ·Teak table, single leaf folding (note: installed on forward part of the Helm Station Binnacle)
- ·Teak coaming caps, varnished
- ·Cockpit seat lockers, port & starboard (note: port is “deep” & starboard is “shallow”)
- ·(2) Lazarette locker opening lids aft
- ·Custom Helm Station seat, WHITE w/ BLUE Piping, removable
- ·Engine controls, throttle & shift, single-lever unit (note: at Helm Station)
- ·Engine Instrumentation Panel (note: port side)
- ·Engine Control Panel (note: in starboard aft section of the Lazarette locker)
- ·Centerboard Controls; located on the port side of the Cockpit (note: consists of reel-type winch for the wire pennant)
- Swim ladder, folding w/ teak treads, stainless steel (note: located on Transom at rear of Cockpit at gate)
The interior photos of the KINSHIP were taken without the interior cushions in-place. The Nav Station seat cushion does indicate the format (style, color etc) for the rest of the cushions
The KINSHIP has the "Classic Interior Layout" for the SABRE 38 Mk I. The layout will accommodate (6-7) in the Fore Cabin, Salon and Quarter Berth aft.
The overall condition of the KINSHIP is above-average for a yacht of her type and vintage.
- Headroom: 6'3" (note: in Salon)
- Teak interior joinery, oiled finish
- Fabric upholstery for all interior cushions, BLUE & WHITE Stripes (note: new, 2019)
- Overhead sections finished w/ LIGHT BEIGE Vinyl-wrapped panels secured w/ teak battens
- Ceilings (note: sides of hull) finish w/ LIGHT BEIGE Vinyl (note: except Salon)
- Cushions w/ 5" foam
- Teak & holly Cabin Sole throughout, varnished
- Curtains, LIGHT BEIGE (note: Factory Option but new, 2019)
The Salon has the Quarter Berth aft on the starboard side. The Galley is aft on the port side. The Nav Station is opposite to starboard. There are two (2) settee berth in the Salon; both are 6'6" in length and the port side pulls out to form a double berth. There is a dinette table on the port side forward; it folds up against the bulkhead when not in use. A bookcase is installed on the bulkhead, port side forward. The Head is located forward & to port. There is another large hanging locker opposite & to starboard.
- Bookcase (note: mounted on bulkhead, port side & behind the Dinette table when folded up)
- Teak ceiling strips for below the deck / hull joint areas (note: sides of the hull)
- Fold-up Salon dinette table w/ (2) folding extension leaves
- Port settee berth converts to a double berth (note: measures 4' / 48” width & 6'8" / 80” length)
- Starboard settee berth measures 6'8" / 80” LOA
- Storage drawers & lockers
- Fold-up seat back panels for storage access (note: panels are padded)
- Debris tray in Salon cabin sole, removable (note: aft near Companionway)
- "V" Berth w/ insert filler piece (note: berths are 6'6")
- Hanging locker
- (4) Storage drawers
- (2) Storage shelves, teak, port & starboard
- Step mounted on port side forward bulkhead (note: assists w/ entry to Fore Cabin via Foredeck hatch)
- Ventilation via opening hatch & (2) opening ports
The Nav Station is located on the starboard side aft & just forward of the Quarter Berth.
- Large chart table
- Seat w/ storage underneath
- Electrical panel for AC & DC functions
- Electronics: VHF, DATAMARINE A-181 Log controls, Stereo System
- Nav Flex light
- Storage under Nav Seat
The Ship’s batteries & hot water tank are located under the berth
- Berth measures 6'6" in length & 48” width
- Teak storage shelf
The Galley for the SABRE 38 Mk I "Classic Version Layout" is located in the Salon, port side aft & is "U" shaped.
- CNG Stove / Oven, GAS SYSTEMS (3) burner, gimbaled w/ (2) CNG tanks (note: Factory Option)
- Stove top cover, removable (note: stows head the stove / oven)
- Safety bar for stove / oven, stainless steel
- Insulated icebox, top-loading, large
- Refrigeration, ADLER-BARBOUR, 12VDC,
- FORMICA Countertops, WHITE
- Hot & cold pressure water service w/ single-lever tap
- Manual foot-pump for fresh water
- Sinks, double stainless steel
- Trash wastebasket, built-in
- Side-mounted countertop section, “flip-up” type
- Marine Head, manual
- Holding tank w/ "Y" valve
- Manual pump for tank overboard discharge
- Deck pump-out plate (note: located starboard side forward)
- Sink & vanity w/ hot & cold pressure water service
- Foot-pump for fresh water for Vanity sink
- Shower, hand-held
- White FORMICA with teak trim
- Storage drawers
- Teak grating, removable
- Double entrance to the Head; from the Passageway forward from the Salon & ensuite to the Fore Cabin
Rig, Rigging, Winches & Sails
Plan Dimensions: I=49.5', P=43.4', J=15.8' & E=13.8'
Sail Area (100% of Fore & Main Triangles): 690.51 Sq / Ft
Bridge Clearance / Air Draft: 56' (approximate)
Base PHRF Rating (New England) 123 Sec / Mile
The SABRE 38 Mk I was produced with a HALL SPARS aluminum spar & boom. The mast is a double-spreader unit with internal halyards & keel-stepped on an aluminum plate.
- White AWLGRIP finish for the mast & boom
- Double-spreaders. "Airfoil" type, aluminum
- Internal halyards
- Keel-stepped spar w/ aluminum step-plate
Rigging & Sail Management
The standing rigging includes a backstay, forestay, (2) main shrouds, upper & lower and fore & aft lower shrouds.
- Standing rigging, 1x19 wire, stainless steel
- (8) Shroud turnbuckle guard / rollers, aluminum
- (4) Genoa tracks, 1-1/4” x 12', stainless steel (note: mounted both "inboard" & "outboard" with the latter installed on the teak toe rails)
- (4) SCHAEFER Jib / Genoa sheet cars; (2) adjustable roller bearing (note: on inboard tracks) & (2) adjustable “stand-up” spring-loaded cars (note: on outboard tracks)
- KENYON Mainsheet traveler mounted on Coachroof w/ ball bearing car & cross-haul system
- HARKEN Roller-Furling System for Headsail
- (2) Genoa sheet turning blocks aft
- (2) Spinnaker sheet block attachment units, cast aluminum, mounted on deck aft at the end of the toe rail
The KINSHIP has a total of (6) LEWMAR winches for her sail management. Four (4) of the winches are mounted on the Coachroof aft. The aft winches also provide for the Jiffy Reef functions with line stoppers mounted forward of the
- (2) L-48 C ST chrome self-tailing (2) speed Primary / Genoa (note: mounted in Cockpit on coamings)
- (1) L-43 C ST chrome self-tailing (2) speed Genoa Halyard (note: mounted starboard side aft)
- (1) L-30 C chrome (2) speed Main Halyard (note: mounted Coachroof amidships, starboard side)
- (2) L-24 C (2) speed chrome Halyard (note: 2nd L-24 is for the Spinnaker halyard,& mounted Coachroof amidships, port side)
- Winch handles
The sails are by HATHAWAY, RIESER & RAYMOND (HR&R).
- Mainsail, HR&R, Dacron w/ full battens & (2) rows of reef points (note: main made prior to 1997: per the Owner, "very lightly used as usually sails with just the genoa”)
- Mainsail cover
- DUTCHMAN Sail Flaking System
- Genoa, 140%, HR&R Dacron w/ SUNBRELLA Tabling Cover, roller-furling (note: 2017)
- Asymmetrical Spinnaker (note: per the Owner, used "perhaps (6) times since the yacht purchase in 1997")
- VHF; ICOM IC-324G
- DATAMARINE S-100KL Knot Log LCD digital knotmeter
- DATAMAINE LX-360 Wind Machine (AWI / WS)
- DATAMARE S-200DL Depth Log LCD digital depth sounder
- DATAMARINE A-180 & A-181 Log Control Panels
- FURUNO Marine Radar, Model 832 / 841 (note: radome mounted on mast)
- GARMIN 215 GPSmap
- AUTOHELM 4000 (note: external drive A/P w/ wheel attachment)
- SONY Stereo, AM / FM w/ CD player
- CYBERNET 3050 Graphic Equalizer for speakers
The SABRE 38 Mk I has both a 12VDC Ship's Service and a 115VAC Shore Power Systems.
- Batteries, 4x 6 VDC installed in series for 12VDC service for (1) set each for Utility & Engine Start (note: lead / acid types in acid-proof boxes)
- Battery charger, RARITAN
- Shore Power System w/ Polarity Indicator, 50' 50 AH cord
- (5) 110V Interior outlets w/ GFI unit in the Head
- Circuit breaker panel, 12VDC & 110VAC w/ Polarity Indicator, (2) Voltmeters & (2) Ammeters
- PERKO Battery selector switch, rotary-style
- Hot & cold pressure water system
- RARITAN hot water tank w/ engine coolant circulation & shore power element heating
- Fresh water capacity: (94) USG in (2) plastic tanks
- Pumps, bilge: (1) manual bilge pump (note installed in Cockpit) & (1) RULE 2000 (note: GPH) electric / automatic bilge pump
- Bronze seacock valves w/ handles for all through-hull fittings that are below the waterline
- Nav lights
- Masthead light
- Foredeck light
- Anchor light
The SABRE 38 Mk I has a total of (12) interior lights.
- (7) Overhead dome lights throughout (note: chrome finish bases)
- (2) Reading lights in Salon (note: mounted on forward main transverse bulkhead, port & starboard, brass finish)
- (2) Reading lights at berths (note: w/ plastic shades)
- Navigator’s light, CHARTLITE S-1400
The SABRE 38 Mk I is powered by a WESTERBEKE 33 (4) cylinder FWC marine diesel that rated at 33 HP at 3,000 RPM's. At a typical cruise power setting of 2,500 RPM's, that has a fuel burn of some .1.2 GPH. At 2,100 RPM's, the fuel consumption is .75 GPH..
- Engine hours: 3,100 (approximate) TOTAL “tach time” (note: a) approximately 2,000 hours logged since Factory Rebuild in 1996, b) Owner notes has kept a comprehensive Engine Maintenance Log for reference)
- Engine Rebuilt: 1996 (note: Factory)
- Fuel tank capacity: (30) USG in (1) aluminum tank
- Transmission, short profile manual w/ 2:1 reduction gearing
- Propeller, (2) blade, 16" diameter, bronze
- Propeller shaft, 1" stainless steel
- Alternator, 50 AH
- Oil drain system
- Self-bleeding fuel system
- Instrument Panel, electric: (5) function including tachometer w/ analog hour meter, oil & water temperature & voltmeter gauges
- Control Panel (note: in Lazarette locker, starboard aft)
- Maintenance: new cutlass bearing (Spring, 2023) & LENCO heat exchanger (2012)
- Anchor, FORTRESS FX18 aluminum w/ chain & nylon rode
- Bow anchor system, aluminum w/ main anchor roller (note: on starboard side & 2nd anchor stowage, port side w/ securing pin)
- Dodger w/ Navy Blue SUNBRELLA & frame, aluminum
- Awning, Navy Blue SUNBRELLA (note: attaches to the aft end of the dodger & extends to the backstay, removable)
- Binnacle, wheel & table cover, Navy Blue SUNBRELLA
- PFD's, USCG Type II
- (5) Fire extinguishers, ABC Dry Chemical
- Horseshoe life-ring, throwable
- Swim ladder, transom-mounted, folding, stainless steel (note: Factory Option)
- Cleaning gear
- Dock lines & fenders
- Cockpit cushions
- Yacht Ensign w/ teak jackstaff
- Outboard motor mount, JOHNSON MARINE (note: mounted on stern rail, port side)
- Rod holder, stainless steel (note: mounted on stern rail, starboard side)
The company offers the details of this vessel in good faith but cannot guarantee or warrant the accuracy of this information nor warrant the condition of the vessel. A buyer should instruct his agents, or his surveyors, to investigate such details as the buyer desires validated. This vessel is offered subject to prior sale, price change or withdrawal without notice.
Brewer Yacht Sales-Earning Your Business One Boat at a Time
Brewer Yacht Sales has been a trusted name in the yacht brokerage industry for over 25 years. Specializing in both used power and sailboats, most of our brokers have earned their Certified Professional Yacht Broker, (CPYB) accreditation and all are proud members of the Yacht Brokers Association of America (YBAA). Whether buying or selling, our professional sales team is ready to exceed your expectations at our conveniently located East Coast offices.
Buying Your Vessel With Brewer Yacht Sales
Our Yacht Sales Professionals share your passion for the boating lifestyle. Our brokers work with a network of contacts, establish value, negotiate on your behalf, safeguard funds in separate escrow accounts, provide an ethical atmosphere for the transaction, and build relationships. We specialize in both power and sailboats up to 100', with experience selling all major brands including Sea Ray, Viking Princess, Tiara Yachts, Sabre, Hunter, Beneteau, Tartan, and more.
Brewer Yacht Sales offers the details of this vessel in good faith but cannot guarantee or warrant the accuracy of this information nor warrant the condition of the vessel. A buyer should instruct his agents, or his surveyors, to investigate such details as the buyer desires validated. This vessel is offered subject to prior sale, price change, or withdrawal without notice.
Want more information?
A true yacht sales professional, Randy started his yacht sales career in Connecticut some 50 years ago after a tour of duty as a Naval Aviator, then solo sailing the East Coast and down to the Islands. Randy is pleased to continue to offer his clients the accumulated experience garnered from a lifetime of boating as well as performing as a yacht broker, agent, dealer, and importer since 1973.
To date, Randy has completed over 995 new and brokerage yacht sales transactions on behalf of his clients! For new yacht sales, Randy has represented many of the best and most recognizable yacht manufacturers including Nautor’s Swan, Baltic Yachts, Contest Yachts, Grand Banks, Bertram, Hatteras, C&C, Pearson, Bristol Yachts, and J/Boats. With his extensive product knowledge, highly successful track record, fine reputation, and extensive Industry contacts, Randy will get the job done for his buyers and sellers alike.
To benefit from Randy’s extensive experience, you can contact him via his cell 203-512-0847 or via email at “[email protected]”. If you are one of Randy’s numerous past clients and would like to reacquaint, he would certainly like to hear from you!